In Reception, children enjoy learning from a broad curriculum, both inside and outside of the classroom, and are actively encouraged to develop their independence and question their discoveries. Our small class sizes and high staff to pupil ratios ensure that every individual’s talents are recognised and encouraged, enabling all children to reach their full potential.
The Early Years’ team teach children by ensuring challenging, playful opportunities across all areas of learning and development. During their year in Reception, children will move through the seven areas of learning and begin to work from the Key Stage 1 syllabus. Each child is helped to progress through the following areas:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development: Making relationships, Self-confidence and self-awareness, Managing feelings and behaviours
- Physical Development: Moving and handling, Health and self-care
- Communication and Language: Listening and Attention, Understanding, Speaking
- Literacy: Reading and Writing
- Mathematics: Numbers, Shape, Space and Measure
- Understanding the World: People and Communities, The World, Technology
- Expressive Arts and Design: Exploring and using media and materials, Being imaginative
The children complete phonics, literacy and a mathematics lesson alongside other activities. The children will have French, music and P.E lessons with specialist teachers throughout the week. Technology plays an important role across the curriculum and is integrated into lessons.
If you guessed from our morning post that we had PrimeVR (Virtual Reality) in today for British Science Week then you'd be right! The children got to experience scenes from Roman Gladiators, Egyptian Pyramids and the Seven Wonder of the World! #shssc[..]
What an amazingly successful Southampton Festival we have had. Our choirs won two cups on Thursday and over the weekend we had great success in the individual and group events with wins in everything from Percussion to Singing. Well done to everyone [..]