The daily routine for children in Pre-Reception includes a wide range of structured and free choice activities. Following the seven prime areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum, teaching topics are led by the children’s interests.
Early mathematics is introduced through different interactive activities; as well as phonics using the Read Write Inc. programme, whilst activities such as pegging, threading and model building all help to develop fine motor skills for writing.
The seven areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum include:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development: Making relationships, Self-confidence and self-awareness, Managing feelings and behaviours
- Physical Development: Moving and handling, Health and self-care
- Communication and Language: Listening and Attention, Understanding, Speaking
- Literacy: Reading and Writing
- Mathematics: Numbers, Shape, Space and Measure
- Understanding the World: People and Communities, The World, Technology
- Expressive Arts and Design: Exploring and using media and materials, Being imaginative
In addition to the Early Years’ team, we also have specialised staff who take the children for outdoor games, gymnastics, music, drama and French lessons.
Our Early Years outdoor area is well used by the children during their free time but is also integral to their learning. Discovering the outside world through exploration and investigation together as a class will compliment their learning and development as an individual.
We know Christmas is now packed away for the year, but just a little update! Our choir sang at Southampton Children’s Hospital, and during their medley they raised £132.09
Pre-Reception and Reception were not put off by the rain yesterday and enjoyed playing with the water wall in the Early Years garden!