- Sherborne House School opened on January 19th 1933, founded by Mrs Eva Wise and her daughters Nancy and Dorothy.
- The whole family were teachers, with Mr Wise having been at one point the Head of Sherborne St John Primary School in Dorset, the reason for the choice of ‘Sherborne House’ as the name for the family’s new school.
- On her mother’s retirement, Miss Dorothy became the Head Teacher, a position which she held for over 30 years.
- Two more families ran the school in private ownership during this period, during which time the school expanded both in size and in educational opportunity.
- The founding ethos of traditional family values, and the nurturing of each individual, remained at the heart of Sherborne House.
- The school benefited from a new classroom block and additional hall, which has assisted the continued development of the curriculum.
- The school is also an accredited member of the Independent Schools Council and is inspected regularly by the Independent Schools Inspectorate.
- The school became part of the Bellevue Education group, a world-class group of exceptional schools dedicated to providing the best possible education to children and students.
The children at Sherborne House enjoy all aspects of school life and are enthusiastic and hard-working. Although non-selective, academic expectations and standards of behaviour are high, but tailored to meet the needs of each pupil; the school’s record of academic success is enviable, but the school is equally proud of its support of each individual pupil and their differing needs. Traditional values of respect and courtesy are also combined with a modern outlook on our multi-cultural world, and we aim to develop every child’s unique talents to their full potential.
We hope that the website will give an insight into all that Sherborne House has to offer. However, we also hope that you will want to come and see the school and experience it for yourself. You are assured of a very warm Sherborne House welcome.
Join us on Thursday 28th February for our Open Day to discover what makes us so special. We will be holding guided tours of the School at 10am and 2pm. Book your place here: https://www.sherbornehouse.co.uk/admissions/visit-sherborne-house-school
At Sherborne House School, we aim to ensure the unique and natural talents of every child are recognised and encouraged. Learn about the career path taken by Kay who left the school in 2005. If you are a former pupil, we would love to hear from you! [..]